Thank you for visiting my causes of infertility in women article. I have also produced a separate article for men called (not surprisingly) Causes of Infertility in Men (publication 19th March).
Whilst the human body is a complex structure, the woman’s body takes this complexity to a whole new level. There are 100’s of things that can go wrong in the female body and many of them relate to the reproductive system.
In this article, I aim to summarise some of the more common causes of infertility in women. Where you see links is where I have expanded on a particular topic in a separate article.
What are the main causes of infertility in women then ?
I’m going to break these down into eight main reasons :
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) : Here an excess of the hormone androgen is produced. This can cause a problem with ovulation due to a resistance to insulin. Surgery is often performed to rectify Polycystic ovaries.
- Endometriosis : With this condition, uterine tissue can implant itself outside of the womb. This can lead to scarring or blockages and can be very painful as well as causing infertility.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) : This is an infection caused by a virus, fungus or bacterium. It can lead to scarring of the reproductive region.
- Blocked Fallopian Tubes : This can be caused as a consequence of surgeries to the abdominal region leaving scar tissue (or from endometriosis). Infections can also be a cause of blocked tubes. Either way, you want to try an avoid an anectopic pregnancy – this is where the egg implants itself not in the womb as normal, but actually in the fallopian tube.
- Thyroid Issues : An excess, or lack of, the hormone thyroid can result in fertility problems.
- Ovulation Problems : Many of these are caused by issues with the pituitary gland. This can result in reduced levels of the complex soup of hormones required to ensure successful ovulation.
- Pelvic Adhesions : Again, scar tissue is the problem here. This time it can cause blockages when it fuses soft tissue together.
- Poor Egg Quality : There are a number of reasons for this : Age, life-style, poor levels of health and fitness.
The above list is only some of the reasons women might have trouble conceiving. In fact, for some wannabe moms there could actually be a combination of fertility problems resulting in female infertility.
Of course there are many forms of infertility treatment available by way of artificial reproductive technology (ART), including in vitro fertilization (IVF). However, some treatments can actually make matters worse. For example, Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) can result from some ART treatments.
I would always, therefore, recommend more natural methods before you consider ATR treatments.
The message I would give to you is : the more you keep yourself fit and healthy, the lower your chances will be of becoming infertile. The 100 tips for getting pregnant series I have written will make you think a little bit more about infertility. Please take time to go through these and apply as many of them to your life as possible – It’s never too late to change your life-style !!
Alternatively, you might want to think about a professionally produced home-study course called The Pregnancy Success Program, by Diana Farrell. I have done a review of this program here : Pregnancy Success review. Or, if you would like to go directly to Diana’s site, then please click on the picture below.
Finally, I’d just like to finish off by saying that if you are going through the pain of trying to get pregnant, I would urge you to take some form of positive action today. This, for some women, might just mean a few simple life-style changes.
However, you are far more likely to see success if you follow a proven program, rather than just aimlessly surfing the internet. Unfortunately, I know too many moms spending months and months on-line looking for those magic words and have just ended up frustrated and upset – certainly no nearer to conceiving a baby. TAKE ACTION AND SEE SUCCESS !! Pregnancy Success by Diana Farrell.
I hope that you found the above 8 causes of infertility in women informative. Please spread the word of my site, using the social media buttons below.